Saturday, June 13, 2009

Relay for Life

We just had our Relay for Life this weekend, for Cancer. We've participated in the Relay for Life for 3 years now, as members of Bethany's team, my sweet lil sis, who is growing up so fast. (14 next week!!!)

I remember faintly the days when my life had not been affected by Cancer. It seems like now, Cancer is everywhere I look.

I wanted to write a little about those people in my life who have had cancer.

My uncle Randy was diagnosed with lung cancer November 2003. He didn't share the news with the family until after the holidays. We found out in the spring that he was battling the disease. He took chemo and radiation, yet still was defeated by the disease. He passed away July 30th, 2004. He actually was like a big brother to me. He lived in our home for my first 5 years of life, and after that point was always there for me when I needed him. He was the one I'd go to if I needed help with my homework, if I needed advice. He left behind a wife, a daughter, and a stepdaughter.

My step dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in November 2007, after a heart attack. He had 2 surgeries and is currently cancer free. We always thought of him as our dad, he was a part of our life from the time I was 3, and was married to my mom for 7 years. He's a good guy and caring for him during his illness was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We pray that he continues to remain free of the cancer.

My uncle Mike was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this year. He is currently struggling with this disease. He is not seeking treatment and we are praying, praying, praying.

My mom recently (as in last Tuesday) had surgery for precancer cells. It has been a terrifying experience to not know if it's spread or what will happen from that point on. She will continue to see the doctor frequently to make sure there are no new cell growths. Thank you God, for my mom and for the doctor who caught this early and for the ability to have surgery to remove it. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment